It’s important to keep up with trends and technology. Visitors make a snap judgment when they visit your site. If it looks old and dated, it may discredit you. Here’s how to design a modern website to stay current and credible.
1. When was the last time you updated your site?
This is the first and most basic question. If it was more than a year ago, chances are you’re missing out. New technologies and website features are developed on a regular basis. You certainly don’t have to take advantage of all of them. However, you can freshen up and modernize your website at least once a year.
2. What features and functions do your prospects use?
Social networking is an easy example. Just about everyone from the age of twelve on up is using some social networking site. Whichever social networking sites your audience uses, then adding them to your site makes sense. It’ll help keep it up to date. It’ll also provide a connection to your audience.
3. What can you add or modify to enhance the experience?
Elements shouldn’t be added to your site just because they’re cool or cutting edge. They need to support your overall goals and purpose. Take a look at the technology offered today and how it might support your business. Explore how it might add value to your customers.
- Do you use video on your site? Video is a growing trend and one that many prospects respond to.
- Are your prospects active on social networking sites? How can you add this behavior to your business model to add value?
- Can you take advantage of your prospects and visitors to add content to your site?
- Would a blog help you build or support your brand?
- Can social bookmarking build your traffic and SEO?
4. Are your graphics, images, and colors out of date?
It’s important that your entire site create a comprehensive image. This image should support your brand. Making huge changes to the overall look and appearance of your site can have a detrimental effect. However, you can update the look of your site and still retain your existing brand image. For example, you can have a complete overhaul of your website navigation and retain your header graphics, logo and font.
Small changes can make a big difference. A simple adjustment of your font to a new and more modern-looking font can provide the necessary update your site needs.
If you haven’t updated your site in a while, take a look at how you can improve it. Base your considerations on your user’s experience. Make sure each change you make supports your customer and/or your business goals. To your success!